(hat tip to the boys of IllegalCurve.com. Thanks to their amazing class and their blessing to take over this feature here at NHL Hot Stove. We hope you enjoy our latest daily series.)
Here are your NHL injury updates for tonight, January 9, 2010:
New York Rangers
- Vinny Prospal skating, not expected to play today. [Steve Zipay]
- Marc Savard out 3-4 weeks. [The Boston Globe]
- Andrew Ference, Byron Bitz, Mark Stuart and Patrice Bergeron still out.
- David Booth, Kenndal McArdle and Dmitry Kulikov out.
- Jason Spezza and Daniel Alfredsson still out.
- Milan Michalek out with an undisclosed injury.
Here are your NHL injury updates for tonight, January 7, 2010:
New York Rangers
- Vaclav Prospal remains out.
- Kari Lehtonen and Mark Popovic still out.
- Cam Barker still out of the lineup. [Blackhawks]
- Adam Burish and Dave Bolland still out.
- Milan Lucic to return Saturday. [Boston Globe]
- Andrew Ference out six weeks. [Boston Globe]
- Mark Stuart and Patrice Bergeron still out.
- Daniel Alfredsson and Jason Spezza still out.
With the National Hockey League roster freeze upon us, we can see some teams trying to find some solutions and bringing in players to their roster. Meanwhile, other teams choose to add to an already bright future.
What do I mean you ask? Let me answer that for you.
Today the Phoenix Coyotes were able to solidify a spot on their blue line by signing free agent veteran blue liner Anders Eriksson to finish out the rest of the year (barring injury) with the big club.
In order to fit Eriksson in to the mix, the Coyotes subsequently assigned David Schlemko to the AHL’s San Antonio Rampage.
Eriksson scored a goal and chipped in two assists in his eight games with San Antonio. Previous to this year, he has appeared in 552 NHL games with six teams, compiling 22 goals and 149 assists over parts of 11 seasons.
With the Coyotes excellent start to the season, it seems to me that they feel the playoffs are a reality. By signing Eriksson, the team adds another veteran to the blue line, one which already accommodates Ed Jovanovski, Adrian Aucoin and James Vandermeer.
This thread will be updated all day, so keep refreshing it as the day goes along. Here are your wounded bodies for tonight:
New Jersey Devils
- Mike Mottau questionable to play tonight. [Fire & Ice]
- Not an injury, but Mike Grier will miss a few games with the illness of his mother. [Sabres Edge]
- Boris Valabik, Jim Slater and Anssi Salmela healthy scratches. [Blueland Blog]
Toronto Maple Leafs
- Jonas Gustavsson regaining his strength. [Jonas Siegel]
- Sergei Kostitsyn returns to the lineup. [Habs Inside/Out]