(hat tip to the boys of Illegal Curve. Thanks to their amazing class and their blessing to take over this feature here at NHL Hot Stove. We hope you enjoy the latest daily series.)
…with all that cap room?
With the loan of Michael Nylander to Grand Rapids of the NHL, the Capitals gained financial flexibility which should allow them to acquire some help in areas they deem necessary. As of this writing, the Caps 24 wins lead the League making the average fan ask: How can they possibly get better?
Corey Masisak of The Washington Times lists five speculative picks that would bolster this team as they prepare for a lengthy playoff campaign. As the team stands there is little need for improvement but one could make a case for another top defender.
As we know from our history watching the playoffs, depth is key. The team’s current construction has featured numerous players shifting up and down the teams forward lines as coach Bruce Boudreau dealt with injuries and juggling in order to find the proper mix. Still Masisak believes the most glaring need is this top defenseman. His solution: Scott Niedermayer.
Niedermayer currently captains the Anaheim Ducks and has lead them, as well as his former team the New Jersey Devils, to the Stanley Cup. In addition, this may be the last year in the NHL for the 36-year-old. Although he only has three goals on the season, he would become a powerful weapon on the Washington powerplay, something dreams are made of. He along with Mike Green would give them two elite puck-moving defensemen which would be incredibly dangerous for this already powerful offense.
Please remember to keep refreshing this page or follow me on Twitter for the fastest updates. Here are your expected starting goalies for tonight:
- Steve Mason starting for Columbus according to Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch.
- Brian Elliot in nets for the Sens says The Official Twitter Feed of The Ottawa Senators. He will face Manny Legace writes Bob Harwood of Canes Country.
- Steve Zipay of Newsday writes Henrik Lundqvist will start with Chad “Dos Nueve” Johnson backing him up. I would assume his opponent is Ryan Miller, considering the star goalie sat out yesterday.
- Carey Price in nets for the Canadiens writes Dave Stubbs of Habs Inside/Out. On the other side is Johan Hedberg, who left the ice first according to Chris Vivlamore of The Atlanta Journal Constitution.
Please remember to keep refreshing this page or follow me on Twitter for the fastest updates. Here are your expected starters for tonight:
- Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch writes Steve Mason starts against the Avalanche.
- Jonas Siegel announces Joey MacDonald in net.
- Canes Country reports via Twitter that Manny Legace will be in net.
- Andrew Raycroft playing according to The Official Twitter Feed of The Vancouver Canucks.
UPDATED @ 10:38 AM
UPDATED @ 10:58 AM
- Jose Theodore hinted at by coach Bruce Boudreau Reported by both Corey Masisak of The Washington Times and Tarik El-Bashir of The Washington Post.
Here are the expected starters for tonight:
UPDATED: 10/14/2009 @ 10:15 PM
- According to this Damien Cristodero post, Mike Smith will be back in net when the Lightning take on the Senators tonight. Head coach Rick Tocchet emphasizes in this article that Smith is the Lightning’s number one goalie despite Antero Niittymaki making two straight appearances.
- A recent entry in Tribune Icing claims Christobal Huet will play against the Predators tonight. When interviewed, Joel Quenneville continues to emphasize that Huet is the starter in Chicago despite Antti Niemi making a recent home start. Click here for the full story.
- Nashville Predators should send out Pekka Rinne to face Chicago. Read the entire article here. John Glennon did write this post a few days ago, before both Rinne and Dan Ellis were chased so more confirmation when I receive it. Click here to view the entry.
- Tarik El-Bashir believes that Jose Theodore will be in net tonight against the Sharks. Although Bruce Boudreau refused to answer the question directly, El-Bashir seems pretty convinced. Click here to read more.
- Habs Inside/Out has a feature on Carey Price‘s new mask. He is expected to debut it tonight at home against Colorado. Click here to check it out.
- Helene St.James of the Detroit Free Press writes here that Chris Osgood will be in net against the Kings tonight. The entry also has updates on numerous injured Wings for those personally invested.
- Jeff Mezydlo mentions in his preview here that Craig Anderson could make his seventh straight appearance.
UPDATED: 10/14/2009 @ 11:49 PM
- Ilya Bryzgalov should be in net tonight against St. Louis. Click here to see the full preview. The same article writes Chris Mason should also be in net.
UPDATED: 10/15/2009 @ 01:02 AM
- According to the recap of yesterday’s game Jonathan Quick will be back in net tonight against Detroit. Rich Hammond has the full story here.
UPDATED: 10/15/2009 @ 11:54AM
- Evgeni Nabokov is your projected starter for tonight.
- Same goes for Pascal Leclaire for Ottawa. More to come!
UPDATED: 10/15/2009 @ 12:46PM
- Leclaire confirmed here.
That’s all I have for now. More updates to come. If you have any tips, email them to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Year-to-date Predictions: 96/98= 97.96%